CERTIFICATION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Registered Medical Assistant
1. Applicant shall be of good moral character.
2. Applicant shall meet one of the following eligibility routes:
ROUTE 1 (EDUCATION): Applicant shall be a recent graduate of, or be scheduled to graduate from, an accredited medical assisting program.1, 2, 3
ROUTE 2 (MILITARY): Applicant shall be a recent graduate of, or be scheduled to graduate from, a formal medical services training program of the United States Armed Forces.3
ROUTE 3 (WORK EXPERIENCE): Applicant shall have been employed as a medical assistant for a minimum of five out of the last seven years, no more than two years of which may have been as an instructor in a post- secondary medical assistant program. Proof of high school graduation (or equivalent) is required.
ROUTE 4 (INSTRUCTOR): Applicant shall be currently instructing in an accredited medical assisting program1, shall have completed a course of instruction in a healthcare discipline related to medical assisting, and shall have a minimum of five years of teaching experience in a medical assisting discipline that encompasses a range of both clinical and administrative competencies that are broadly representative of core medical assisting duties. An applicant who has less than five years of teaching experience, but more than one year, shall provide documentation of at least three years of full-time clinical work experience in a healthcare profession in which the scope of practice is commensurate with, or exceeds, the medical assisting scope of practice.
ROUTE 5 (OTHER RECOGNIZED EXAM): Applicant shall have taken and passed another certification organization’s generalist examination for medical assisting, provided that the organization’s exam has been approved by the AMT Board of Directors and that the applicant can meet eligibility Routes 1, 2, 3 or 4. No examination is required.
3. Applicant applying under Routes 1, 2, 3 or 4 shall take and pass the appropriate AMT certification examination.
1. Accredited program: Program or institution is accredited by a regional or national accreditation agency approved by the US Department of Education, the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or otherwise approved by the AMT Board of Directors
2. All training programs should include a minimum of 720 clock hours (or equivalent) of didactic training in medical assisting, including a clinical externship of no less than 160 hours in duration.
3. Applicants seeking certification under eligibility Routes 1 or 2 must have graduated from their academic programs within the past four years. Applicants whose date of graduation is four years or more prior to the date of their application must also provide evidence of relevant work experience for at least three of the last five years.