** AMT is approved as a Phlebotomy Certification Organization in California**
CERTIFICATION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Registered Phlebotomy Technician
1. Applicant shall be of good moral character.
2. Applicant shall meet one of the following eligibility routes:
ROUTE 1 (EDUCATION): Applicant shall be a graduate of, or scheduled to graduate from, an accredited phlebotomy program.1, 2,3
ROUTE 2 (WORK EXPERIENCE): Applicant shall have completed at least 1,040 hours of acceptable work experience as a phlebotomy technician within the past three years; this to include venipunctures, skin punctures, specimen processing, communication skills, and clerical duties.4 Proof of high school graduation (or equivalent) is required.
ROUTE 3 (OTHER RECOGNIZED EXAM): Applicant shall have taken and passed another certification organization’s generalist examination for phlebotomy technicians, provided that the examination has been approved by the AMT Board of Directors and that the applicant can meet eligibility Routes 1 or 2. No exam is required.
3. Applicant must have completed a minimum of 50 successful venipunctures and 25 successful skin punctures.
4. Applicant applying under Routes 1 and 2 shall take and pass the appropriate AMT certification examination.
1. Accredited program: Program or institution is accredited by a regional or national accreditation agency approved by the US Department of Education, the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or otherwise approved by the AMT Board of Directors.
2. All training programs must include at least 120 hours of didactic training and a clinical externship of no less than 120 hours in duration
3. Applicants must have graduated from their academic programs within the past FOUR years.
4. All acceptable phlebotomy work experience credited towards certification must be earned in an approved healthcare facility that engages in the collection, examination or transport of materials derived from the human body.