Warm Greetings from your Southern District Councillor!
Recently, the Council met in San Antonio, Texas to discuss many changes and updates that need to be shared with you. Please find following those items:
- AMT’s Annual Meeting will be held July 24-28, 2023, in Norfolk, Virginia at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. More information will be provided as it becomes available. DO NOT make reservations or Travelex plans until you receive the final booking instructions for the Annual Meeting.
- 2024 Annual Meeting will be held in the Central Plains. More information will be forthcoming.
- If you attended the educational sessions at the Annual Meeting in Scottsdale, check your AMTrax account to make sure you received credit for attending the session.
- Scam alert – Please be aware of this as it is still occurring in all states and probably in the Caribbean.
- Always check your spam folders, junk folders and trash for AMT notifications. I find them there regularly even though I have AMT in my contacts as a safe sender. Please read all AMT correspondence and e-blasts.
- MT > MLS: Effective immediately, you may adjust your credentials from MT (AMT) to MLS (AMT). This change is to standardize the laboratory profession in all agencies and reduce confusion by hiring entities. An email was sent to everyone regarding this change on October 18, 2022, with full explanation of this transition. This information can also be found on the AMT website using the search tool at the top of the page.
- Scholarships are available. You must submit it electronically by the deadline of April 1, 2023. Some of the scholarships are Carol Miller Scholarship; Dave McCullough Scholarship; Dorothy “Mimi” Roush Phlebotomy Scholarship. AMT awards scholarships annually to members attending undergraduate/graduate programs and to high school graduates pursuing medical technology, medical assisting, dental assisting, or phlebotomy studies. Help your students by utilizing this opportunity.
- Remember to keep your information current on the AMT website especially your email address.
- Recently, you were sent an email informing you that there has been an increase in the annual membership dues. If you have any questions, please direct them to Customer Service at 847-823- 5169, AMT office. This will be effective January 1, 2023.
- Bylaw amendments were presented at the Annual Meeting in Scottsdale, AZ by Kim Cheuvront and Michael McCarty. They were recently presented and reviewed at the MET with open discussion. Kim has offered to do a virtual update at state meetings as well if she is available. The Bylaws will be voted on at the Norfolk Annual Meeting. If you have any questions, please let me know or contact Kim Cheuvront for more information.
- Save the Date for the CASMET BGM (Scientific Symposium & Biennial General Meeting). It will be held at the Hilton Barbados Resort, Needham’s Point, St. Micheal, October 22-26, 2023.
- For certification and recertification issues, please contact the AMT office at 847-823-5169.
Finally, as always, it is an honor and privilege to serve as the Southern District Councillor. I am here to serve you and help you.
Happy Holidays to each of you! May the blessings abound and be poured out on you and your families during and beyond this holiday season!!
Anna Catron, MLS(AMT), HEW
Southern District Councillor Vice-President, VASSAMT