Photo by Sheryl Scott
Welcome to the Fall/Winter 2022-23 update to the OHSSAMT Homepage President’s update. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving to start you off for all the winter holidays to come in the next few months.
If you missed our fall meeting at UC Blue Ash, you missed a lot of information and the election of a new board member, Marilyn Johnson-Gilliam. We were also pleased to have the AMT Judiciary Councillor Kimberly Chevuront join us via video call to talk about and take questions concerning the recommended changes to the AMT Bylaws that the delegates will be voting on at the Annual Meeting in Norfolk VA in July. In addition, we had four very informative continuing education presentations. The best part was it was all free.
Vanessa Austin our Great Lakes District councillor sent us information on upcoming changes. While some only affect the OHSSAMT BOD there are a few that you will want to know about.
- The 2023 Annual Meeting will be held July 24-28 at the Waterside Marriott in Norfolk VA. Please do not make any reservations yet for airline and hotel because there will be further instructions coming to those who are elected to be delegates.
- The 2024 meeting will be held in the Central District, but the location has yet to be determined.
- MT designation changes to MLS (Medical Laboratory Scientist) there was an email blast sent to everyone back on October 18th.
- Please remember to keep your contact information up to date at the AMT website. This will make sure you are included in all AMT and OHSSAMT Email Blasts.
- There is a scam that has been going around If you receive an email from anyone on the OHSSAMT board wanting you to purchase gift cards, do not do it. Immediately call the sender and ask if they sent this email. Click on the sender’s name and look at the email address. You will see it does not match the board members' name or true email address. THIS IS A SCAM. Do not reply to the sender, just delete the email. If you have any questions call the individual named in the email and verify with them. OHSSAMT BOD members will never, I repeat NEVER ask you to purchase gift cards or anything else.
- There has been an increase in Renewal fees effective January 1st, 2023. MLS (MT), MLT, MDT increases to $110, CLC to $105, RMA, RPT, PCT, CMAS, RDA, CMLA will be $75, and AHI will increase to $45.
Vanessa Austin has also been our OHSSAMT Vice-President, she elected not to run for another term as VP but will continue to be a valued member of the OHSSAMT BOD. Jamie Horn was elected to the position of OHSSAMT Vice-President. Thank you, Vanessa, for all you have done and continue to do for the Ohio State Society. Thank you also Jamie for volunteering to take on the responsibilities of Vice-President. I know you will do a great job for us.
We are negotiating with the Senior Center in Xenia to hold our Spring 2023 Scientific and Business meetings. As soon as we have a firm date and address, we will get that information out to you. Please remember that we will be electing delegates to attend the annual meeting in Norfolk at this meeting so if you want to be a delegate and you meet the requirements as outlined in our bylaws please be there.
Our awards committee is currently working to select our annual OHSSMAT award winners and they will be announced at our Spring meeting. Speaking of our spring meeting we are planning on adding a BLS renewal to the meeting, thanks to Jamie Horn. You will receive more information as this initiative develops.
I wanted to make sure that I thanked our OHSSAMT Board members for all the work they have done this past year. Thank you, Vanessa Austin RMA, AHI, Sheryl Scott RMA, Kimberly Briggs RMA, John Sherer MLS, Jamie Horn RMA, RPT, AHI, Lori Thacker RMA, and our newest BOD member, Marilyn Johnson-Gilliam, for everything you have done and continue to do for our Ohio AMT members.
I pray that each of you has a Safe and Happy Holiday Season,
Chris Williams, RMA, AHI (AMT)